← Back to the journal
Text size20 px

Green Tea Benefits: Blood Pressure, Weight and Daily Habits

A teapot and cups of green tea beside a sunny window

As an older woman, I have a growing affection for simple things: a walk with no particular destination, fresh food on the table, and the scent of tea leaves opening in warm water. I am curious about green tea benefits, too, though I do not need a promise of a longer life to enjoy my cup.

What are the possible benefits of green tea?

Research suggests some modest health benefits, but green tea is not a treatment in a teapot. Many studies use extracts or supplements, so their findings do not tell us exactly what an everyday cup will do.

  • Blood pressure: studies of green-tea supplementation suggest a small average reduction. Tea cannot replace prescribed treatment.
  • Weight loss: drinking green tea may help a little, but the evidence is uncertain. It is not a reliable shortcut to losing weight.
  • Cholesterol: research suggests small reductions in total and LDL cholesterol. Most of these studies tested extracts rather than brewed tea.
  • An enjoyable daily habit: the flavour and the pause are what appeal to me most. That is my personal reason to enjoy tea, rather than a medical claim.

Is green tea good for blood pressure?

I am interested when I read that green tea may be good for us. Who would not be? But I have reached an age when I prefer a modest promise to a grand one.

Some research suggests it may help blood pressure a little. I take that as an encouraging possibility, rather than a reason to change any treatment. A cup of tea can have a place beside the other ways we look after ourselves.

Green tea served alongside breakfast

Does green tea help with weight loss?

As for losing weight, I would be wary of expecting much from the teapot. The research suggests any effect may be small, and there is still uncertainty. I would pay more attention to what is on my plate and whether I have been out for a walk.

That does not make tea any less worth enjoying. I do not need it to explain a smaller waist or a better reading on a blood-pressure monitor.

What draws me to it is the little pause it offers. While the leaves steep, there is time to look out of the window. While the cup cools, there is time for a conversation, or simply a quiet moment.

Those are small pleasures, but I have a good deal of affection for small pleasures these days.

A little further reading

Green tea and blood pressure. A 2025 review found a small average improvement across studies of green-tea supplements. That does not mean every cup will have the same effect.

Green tea and weight. A 2024 review found that drinking green tea might help a little, but the evidence was uncertain. It gives me no reason to expect dramatic weight loss.

Green tea benefits and safety, explained simply. The NIH summarises what is known about cholesterol, weight and the difference between tea and extracts.

From the archive. This article reflects its original publication date; health-related claims have not yet been reviewed against current evidence.

No comments:

Natural Green Tea

A quiet corner for tea, everyday rituals, and stories from the archive.