← Back to the journal
Text size20 px

Side Effects of Green Tea: Sleep, Stomach and Safety

Five cups of green tea on a kitchen table

I am an older woman now, and I like my mornings unhurried: daylight at the window, a warm cup between my hands, and the fresh, grassy scent of green tea. But I also want to understand the side effects of green tea. Being fond of the leaves does not mean every cup will suit me.

What are the possible side effects of green tea?

Brewed green tea is generally considered safe for adults, but caffeine can cause problems, especially if you have too much or are sensitive to it. Concentrated green-tea extracts carry different risks.

  • Sleep problems and feeling jittery: caffeine may make it harder to sleep or leave you feeling anxious.
  • Stomach upset or nausea: too much caffeine can upset the stomach; green-tea supplements can also cause digestive discomfort.
  • Blood pressure and a racing heart: excess caffeine may raise blood pressure or cause palpitations. A relaxing tea ritual does not tell you what your blood pressure is doing.
  • Medicine interactions: green tea can affect some medicines, including nadolol. A pharmacist can check your particular prescription.
  • Liver problems from extracts: rare liver injuries have been reported, mainly with concentrated tablets or capsules. These are not the same as ordinary brewed tea.

Can drinking green tea at night affect sleep?

It is easy to think of green tea as nothing but leaves and hot water. There is caffeine in those leaves, though, and it can get in the way of sleep.

At my age, I would rather enjoy my tea earlier and leave the evening for winding down. If I began to notice restless nights, I would look at when I was filling my cup. I would not keep drinking it just because someone had called it healthy.

A small cup and a large mug of green tea

Green tea, blood pressure and medicines

I feel at home with things that grow. Still, a leaf can have quite a strong effect on the body. That is part of what makes plants interesting, and a reason to treat them with respect.

Blood pressure is one thing I would leave to proper measurements, rather than how peaceful I feel after tea. And anyone taking regular medicine would do well to ask a pharmacist whether green tea suits it. Some medicines and tea do not mix well.

The concentrated capsules sold for slimming are another matter. They are quite different from a pot of brewed leaves, and some have been linked to liver problems. They do not appeal to me.

There is no prize for finishing another pot. Sometimes I think the nicest thing to do is put the teapot away, open the window, and get on with the day.

A little further reading

Tea, caffeine, and sleep. This study looked at caffeine rather than tea itself. It is a useful reminder that both the amount and the time of day can matter.

A plain guide to green tea and safety. The NIH explains the difference between brewed tea and concentrated extracts, and why it is worth checking about medicines.

How to recognise too much caffeine. The FDA explains common symptoms and why people differ in their sensitivity.

From the archive. This article reflects its original publication date; health-related claims have not yet been reviewed against current evidence.

No comments:

Natural Green Tea

A quiet corner for tea, everyday rituals, and stories from the archive.